Jan 18, 2020
This Full Length Film is Brought to you by Lowbrow Customs https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com
In this instructional video, guru Frank Kaisler takes you through the care and service of Harley-Davidson’s popular Ironhead Sportster.
Applying four decades of motorcycle experience, Frank shares the hard-earned tips and tricks that served him so well over the years. Many aspects of engine tune and service are covered in this video: changing fluids, valve train, ignition, timing, fuel system, electrical.
Follow Frank’s tips and tricks and you’ll build the skills you need to resurrect that old project and keep your bike running strong with confidence. Over 2 hours of killer content!
You can own your very own copy of this dvd by purchasing it here: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/harley…
- 00:38 – Intro
- 01:53 – Removing and Inspecting Spark Plugs
- 03:22 – Jack the motorcycle rear wheel off so you can rotate the motor. Shifting in 4th gear makes it the easiest to bump the motor over because it’s the easiest ratio to push.
- 03:58 – How to adjust the valves.
- 04:15 – Remove the air filter out of the way.
- 04:33 – An easy way to check if your air filter is clean or needs cleaned / replaced.
- 04:41 – Remove the air filter backing plate.
- 05:20 – Remove the magneto if you have one.
- 08:51 – Starting with the front cylinder, rotate the motor by bumping the rear wheel forward til the intake pushrod is at the heel of the cam or at it’s lowest point.
- 09:11 – How to tell if a pushrod needs adjusted and how to adjust them.
- 10:31 – Final test on pushrod adjustment.
- 11:37 – Repeat same process for exhaust side.
- 12:38 – Repeat same process for the rear cylinder.
- 15:18 – Explanation on when & why you should adjust your pushrods.
- 17:29 – Primary Chain Adjustment
- 17:43 – Check the adjustment of your primary chain at it’s tightest spot. Rotating the motor will help you find the tightest spot in the chain.
- 18:54 – How to adjust the chain. Adjust a little at a time and check the chain as you go.
- 21:48 – Changing primary / transmission fluid.
- 22:38 – Changing Your Oil
- 22:49 – Explanation of how Ironhead Sportster oil tanks work.
- 26:15 – Check the oil drain plug for any metal or debris, clean it off.
- 27:25 – The location of the oil lines on a stock oil tank and how to replace the oil filter on a stock Ironhead Sportster.
- 30:50 – Frank shows you how the oil feed line & return line routes and how close it is to your front main drive sprocket.
- 33:15 – How to check for bad contaminants in your oil tank and tips on how to clean your oil tank.
- 34:13 – Tip on how to change and check the oil thats still in the engine and how to get rid of that old oil out and not feed it back into the new fresh oil.
- 35:03 – Check out that oil plug, HA! Reinstall your oil plug.
- 35:58 – Funnel tip if you don’t have one.
- 36:09 – If you had to reuse slightly used oil, how to filter that oil before putting it back in the motorcycle.
- 36:42 – Winter and colder months, tips on primary / transmission fluid what to use and why heavy weight oils might not be a good thing.
- 39:15 – Rear Chain Adjustment
- 43:14 – Tightening your drum brake backing plate bolt properly.
- 44:49 – Ignition Systems – Points and Electric Ignitions
- 44:55 – What points assembly look like and how it works.
- 45:33 – How to remove the points out.
- 45:47 – Mark on the end of the V of points plate to remind you where the timing was set.
- 46:47 – What to look for and when to replace the points.
- 47:17 – Flyweight assembly, how to remove it, and what to look for if it needs replaced.
- 49:08 – How to reinstall the flyweight assembly.
- 49:52 – Changing the points.
- 51:12 – Old points compared to new points.
- 52:34 – Check wire that runs to the coil and clean it up if the connection looks dirty with a file.
- 55:35 – Setting the points gap properly.
- 59:23 – How to set the static timing with points.
- 01:03:02 – Electronic ignition systems overview.
- 01:07:00 – Cleaning the actual points.
- 01:08:35 – Note the coil and plug wire differences when using different types of ignitions.
- 01:10:58 – Ignition System – Magneto
- 01:11:18 – How to view timing mark on fly wheel.
- 01:12:11 – Installing the magneto and static timing it.
- 01:15:03 – Clean the points off in the magneto.
- 01:18:18 – How to time your engine to your magneto.
- 01:19:19 – Installing spark plugs
- 01:25:40 – Fuel Delivery Systems – Carb talk and whats the differences between some of them.
- 01:28:55 – What to inspect on your fuel system.
- 01:32:39 – Explanation on How to adjust your carburetor.
- 01:35:07 – What to look for if your bikes hard to start.
- 01:39:17 – Throttle and throttle cable care.
- 01:47:56 – Battery and Charging System
- 02:05:04 – Finished, Go For a Ride!