Nov 29, 2019
This Full-Length Film is Brought to you by Lowbrow Customs https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com
In this instructional video, guru Frank Kaisler takes you through the care and service of Harley-Davidson’s venerable Shovelhead engine.
Applying four decades of motorcycle experience, Frank shares the hard-earned tips and tricks that served him so well over the years. Many aspects of engine tune and service are covered in this video: changing fluids, valve train, ignition, timing, fuel system, electrical.
Follow Frank’s tips and tricks and you’ll build the skills you need to resurrect that old project and keep your bike running strong with confidence. Over 2 hours of killer content, Enjoy!
Grab your own copy of this DVD – https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/harley…
- 00:19 – Introduction – Prep For tune and Service
- 00:46 – Explanation about the motor and how’s it has two different variations.
- 01:54 – Carburetor changes over the years.
- 04:46 – Start the service, pull the plugs.
- 05:54 – Check primary chain or belt drive tension inspection.
- 07:54 – Jack the bike up to adjust the rear chain.
- 08:39 – Changing your oil.
- 15:22 – Difference in oil pumps.
- 17:40 – Check your oil lines are tight.
- 19:18 – Rear Chain Adjustment.
- 19:28 – Primary Belt or Chain check.
- 20:01 – Check rear chain for too much play. How to take the slop out.
- 20:19 – Note what kind of brakes you have on your bike, if its a mechanical rear brakes you will have to undo your brake rod first before moving the wheel back.
- 20:57 – Loosen rear wheel lock nut on the adjusters on both sides.
- 21:25 – Loosen the rear axel nut.
- 22:28 – Find the tightest spot of the chain, adjust each side evenly using the hex head flats to measure how many times to adjust.
- 24:31 – Tighten back down the rear axel.
- 25:30 – Tight the lock nuts on the adjusters without moving the adjustment.
- 26:00 – How to adjust and hook back up the mechanical brake.
- 26:57 – Lube your chain!
- 29:32 – Quick explanation if you have a swing arm bike how to adjust your chain.
- 31:13 – Importance of alignment and how to check.
- 31:37 – How to determine if you need a new chain or sprocket.
- 33:30 – Check your master link clip is still ok.
- 34:54 – Valve Adjustment / adjusting your pushrods on solid lifters.
- 42:43 – Explanation on how to adjust hydraulic lifters.
- 44:48 – Ignition Systems – Magneto
- 45:00 – Checking Magneto, how to set the points and check the timing.
- 47:16 – How to clean your points.
- 47:59 – Pull timing plug out of the crank case and rotate the motor till you see the timing mark dead in the hole.
- 49:16 – How to static time the magneto. 54:07 – Grease the spark plug wires that go into the magneto.
- 55:30 – Using a timing light to check the timing.
- 57:46 – Ignition Systems – Points and Electronic Ignitions
- 58:10 – How to inspect and adjust the points and timing on a cone Shovelhead.
- 01:17:00 – Electronic ignition explanation.
- 01:23:26 – Fuel Delivery System
- 01:23:29 – Carburetor service and maintenance, check air filter.
- 01:25:06 – Check fuel lines.
- 01:25:30 – Check Throttle cable.
- 01:25:55 – Check fuel petcocks for leaks.
- 01:26:39 – Check the gas cap.
- 01:28:50 – Importance of a carburetor support mount.
- 01:29:53 – Manifold intake leak?
- 01:34:25 – Enricher how it works.
- 01:35:32– Throttle Control System how it all works and what to inspect. Lube your throttle cable, throttle housing and tube.
- 01:41:52 – Battery and Charging Systems
- 01:42:01 – Inspect spark plug wires, add electrical grease on the ends.
- 01:42:50 – Setting the right gap and how to re install spark plugs.
- 01:47:34 – Check your coil and how to keep the nuts from corroding.
- 01:48:30 – Cleaning old sark plugs if you need to reuse them.
- 01:49:04 – How to read plugs.
- 01:50:37 – Check charging system and explanation on how it works and what to look for when testing.
- 01:55:06 – how to check charring system
- 01:55:40 – Battery’s
- 01:57:52 – Difference between Solid State regulator and a mechanical regulator.
- 02:00:17 – More battery talk, tips and more useful info.
- 02:03:41 – Closing thoughts and thank you for watching!